Thursday, 5 February 2015

Safe use of sporicides

Since their introduction, liquid sporicides have become one of the products of choice for many biological research and production facilities wherever high-level microbial control is critical. Although they are marketed as low-toxicity products, appropriate care during use is essential to prevent potentially dangerous conditions, exposures, and injuries.

This forms part of an article by Vince McLeod for Laboratory Manager magazine. The article goes onto state:

“The class of liquid sporicidal disinfectants are popular non-bleach disinfectants used for clean rooms and biosafety cabinets. Since their introduction, liquid sporicides have become one of the products of choice for many biological research and production facilities wherever high-level microbial control is critical. These sporicides make up a category of liquid, cold, fast-acting disinfectants/sterilants primarily used on hard, pre-cleaned surfaces. They provide quick and effective microbial control, including the ability to destroy bacterial spores. They are generally regarded as safe to use on stainless steel, glass, plastics, walls, and floors. Most sporicides are available as a ready-to-use premixed solution or a concentrate and can be applied by immersion, spraying, fogging, or wiping. Although they are marketed as low-toxicity products, appropriate care during use is essential to prevent potentially dangerous conditions, exposures, and injuries.”

To read more, see Lab Manager

Posted by Tim Sandle