Sunday 27 September 2015

Ethylene glycol: health effects

Public Health England has issued a report on ethylene glycol (also known as 1,2-ethanediol, ethane-1,2-diol, or mono ethyl glycol) for use in responding to chemical incidents.

Ethylene Glycol is clear, colourless liquid with a syrup-like consistency. Ethylene glycol can be made by reacting water with a chemical called ethylene oxide. Other names for ethylene glycol include mono ethyl glycol or MEG.

Drinking ethylene glycol is dangerous and can cause damage to the kidneys which may lead to serious illness or death if large quantities are swallowed.

The report is headed “Ethylene glycol: health effects, incident management and toxicology.”

Posted by Tim Sandle

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pharmaceutical Microbiology Resources

Special offers